Friday, January 27, 2006

the wasp

Today’s discussion concerns the wasp. That ever elusive creature that often times hides in plain sight while working deliriously behind the scenes.

Not this wasp:

wasp Audio pronunciation of "wasp" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wsp, wôsp)
n.

Any of numerous social or solitary insects, chiefly of the superfamilies Vespoidea and Sphecoidea, having a slender body with a constricted abdomen, two pairs of membranous wings, mouths adapted for biting or sucking, and in the females an ovipositor often modified as a sting.

But this one:

WASP1 or Wasp Audio pronunciation of "wasp" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wsp, wôsp)
n.

  1. A white Protestant of Anglo-Saxon ancestry.
  2. A white, usually Protestant member of the American upper social class.

I take shots about being black often enough, as much as I give the white guys I know, maybe more. I know white guys that crack me up about things they perceive about blacks that we take for granted or try our best not to acknowledge. White guys can generally see much about society but are acutely incapable of perceiving the things that are directed squarely at them because they believe they exist outside of it. So a white guy can see that a rap video that airs on MTV does nothing to help the images presented about blacks but he could completely miss the commercials that air after the rap video advertising consumer items marketed to middle class white kids, his kids. So the black guys are doing nothing for their people with those rap songs but MTV is using it to sell stuff to white kids who buy it up.

The thing that I find the funniest though is when those same guys, or generally different white guys say things like you’re not really black. I find it funny that white guys feel they can assume the role of judging how black a guy is. Maybe it’s a throwback to Jim Crow when white people would decide how black a guy is... I just think it’s funny that the most ‘urban’ black guys I know, even ghetto guys who are ignorant in lots of ways as we all can be, would never say that a university education makes somebody less black, while a white guy would say exactly that without thinking it’s at all a very ignorant thing to say, and claiming he is only kidding. Because basically he’s saying that black people are defined by everything that isn’t a mark of education or self restraint. And he's also saying that he buys it up

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about people that know they are crossing the line and do it anyways because it is a guaranteed laugh. If someone accuses you of not really being black, that is a stupid thing to say that is offensive and ignorant, but I would still laugh.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about people that know they are crossing the line and do it anyways because it is a guaranteed laugh. If someone accuses you of not really being black, that is a stupid thing to say that is offensive and ignorant, but I would still laugh.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know these guys that make dead baby jokes all the time. They are absolute idiots. One of those guys has even been heard to say "Woaw it's hotter than Aushwitz (sp?) in here" I know for a fact that guy has no hatred towards anyone except traitors that change clubs. So is it funny, offside, or both. Why don't we all just get a thicker skin and learn to laugh at ourselves.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear to god if you give my people a hard time again I'll come after you with a pitch fork.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was that funny or offside?

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes you guys are hilarious.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah so you’re assuming that black kids don’t watch MTV so they won't buy those G-unit sneakers implying that black people are all poor. Funny how you get back to prejudice so fast. Or, if they do watch MTV, that only white kids will buy them.... I think that’s giving more credit than needed to kids who are as exposed to over-consumption. And as for the whole university thing, don’t hate. I don’t know anyone that would say that a black surgeon is less black than a crack dealer. It’s just less common that’s all. I love you.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger