Monday, July 31, 2006

A Cold Start

I once saw a rugby game that reminded me of cars crashing into each other. Both teams refused to give up one inch right from the kickoff and the result was a little bit scary. Huge guys running at each other and daring the other to break while trying to keep himself from doing the same. Our game against St Anne’s was nothing like that. We gave up yards like they were inches and so did they. We passed up chances to send a message when we tackled. Or rather we sent the wrong message. We told them we are just another rugby team. Sure we might have kick-ass scrums, and a very aware back row, as well as a solid backs line but when it comes to putting it all together we can’t or don’t.

After half-time we came out relatively flat and the 0-0 score didn’t help. After an extended intermission in the second half Beaconsfield seemed more like itself. From our own end we kicked the ball. From what I recall our winger tackled their fullback and we scrummed our way to five points.

After that we kicked the ball our winger was right on top of their winger and we scrummed our way to five points.

This wasn’t our best game but for 20 minutes and 14 points we were perfect.

I decided to interview someone from the sidelines this week; our former president and greatest fan Marie-Eve.

Interviewer: So Mare what did you think of the guys today?

Former President: The guys seemed to have a little problem getting all the way in like you were soft and just couldn’t do it.

I: I hear that’s a pretty common problem.

FP: It’s like you guys just had no finish.

I: Well it was pretty hot and nobody really seemed 100%

FP: But it seemed like you guys had an especially hard time holding on… you know like ball retention.

I: Most guys have that problem sometimes you just get excited and one thing leads to another and before you know it you lost control… of the ball.

FP: Well you need to get that under control it’s not high school… rugby.

I: You’re absolutely right Mare thank-you for your time.

The men who couldn’t hold on and get it all the way in:

1- Greg “Shrek” Gallant

2- Ryan “Squirrel Paw” Wilds

3- Jeff “The Real High School Boy” Lawrence

4- Cory “I didn’t say a thing” White

5- Chris “If everyone played like me, Ovett and Cory we’d be awesome” McCunn

6- Darryl “The Defensive Line-Out Master” Hosquet

7- Scott “I only noticed you got sin binned when we started losing territory” Warcup

8- Ms Christina Quinn

9- Fil “The Warrior” Dobrosielski

10- Matt “If I can’t Kick then I’ll tackle” Heron

11- JP “If my last name was Morgan I’d be Happier” Saker

12- Mr Mike ‘Mr’ Antonekia

13- Tim “The Quiet Killer” Poole

14- Damian “The Assassin with the Hair Elastic” Poole

15- Ovett “The New Axe” Edwards

16- Tim "Talk about hot sisters" Quinn

17- Dave "Talk about hot cousins who don't speak anything but Spanish and... Australian" Torres

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penalty tries from scrum infractions are like taking the prettiest girl to bed, only to have to stop right before you (and the pretty girl - you should let her finish first guys) are done and finish yourself off.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger