Monday, April 03, 2006

16 to 25

I scrapped my car. I didn’t get into an accident I just didn’t feel like pouring more money into a car that I didn’t like so I scrapped it. I know, I know so what? Well it’s forced to re-evaluate principles that I clung dearly to once. When I was 16 I would never imagine I would be doing the following at 25.

Running for public transit- This is something I did on a regular basis when I was a kid. In Laval the busses seem to pass every second Tuesday after the holidays depending on the weather.

Lying to women to get them to sleep with me- It’s not what you think, mostly it’s “those are just rumours” and a lot of “it’s not that big.”

Vying for a spot on my rugby team- Ok to be honest I didn’t think I’d be playing rugby when I was 25 but had I thought about I’m sure I would have expected to be a superstar who could choose his position, not the case.

Living with my parents- I’m not sure how I felt about this when I was a kid but I’m sure I don’t know how I feel about it now. I don’t know if I’d want to move out before I found my wife. Jury is still out on this one.

Not reading great books. I no longer read famous old authors and it’s freaking me out man. I had read “Of Mice and Men” by grade seven and had even made a stab at “The Invisible Man,” I’m not sure what’s up but my mind may or may not be slowly turning into Jello.

Not independently wealthy and no plan to be before I’m 35. Can you believe that, 35 before I have a hope of being independently wealthy. It might as well be forever. Just kidding I actually feel like it will barely be enough time. “[Because] at my back I always hear/ Time's winged chariot hurrying near” words courtesy Andrew Marvell.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is intense stuff...but to help you make decisions faster, living with your parents and not having a car makes you loose at least 4 points... even if it is "that big".

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S.B.R.P.,

I too know the feeling unrealized goals. At the kind age of 16 I thought I was going to die a virgin. A ridiculously, ridiculously, ridiculously, good looking virgin. So I focused all my time and energy on achieving the goal of sex. Well, the day that I finally won the big prize was a shortly lived victory and although I had the satisfaction a completing a goal, I had given very, very limited satisfaction to my partner.

The point of my story, is that if you let these little things bother you too much they will consume you and you will end up focusing on unimportant trivial matters like moving out, instead of important things like finding girls for threesomes.

So keep your chin up and strive reach for that rainbow, but don't let the chase for the rainbow consume you as it did me for those awfull, awfull, 12 years.

T.Q.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmy,

I had to take a guess at your age. Was I close?

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I get dragged into these comments so regularly? For the record, I'm saving myself for marriage. Jerk.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Ovett said...

hey if all it takes is an insult to get you to visit the site and leave a comment then maybe it'll work on others too: J-lo you have a big butt. who am i kidding, J-lo I love your butt and I'm sorry honey I'll make it up to you, it won't happen again.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you hear abbout guys living big lives to make up for certain other inadequacies... dont usually hear it the other way around.
somehow not as refreshign as one woudl have expected

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger