Academy Ire
Once again the academy awards have sent a message to Black people everywhere: you are crooked, criminal clowns who deserve to be viewed as such.
What sparks this accusation? Hustle and Flow. Possibly the worst movie ever made according to my banker and my back-up fly-half who may or may not be the same person. The movie is a fictional account of a pimp who struggles through attitude from his ‘ho(e)s’, insincere fellow rappers and loud neighbours to become a rap-star.
Terrence Howard does an excellent job portraying the pimp just as Denzel Washington did with his crooked cop in Training Day, but I tend to wonder whether instead of nominating this movie which surely won’t win couldn’t the academy just have issued a press release saying that they believe Blacks are animals and have given Mr. Howard a supporting actor nomination for Crash which actually is a better movie.
One of my favourite rappers, Jadakiss, sees this as a problem as well and brought it up in his song “Why” from his 2004 album Kiss of Death:
Why
Why Denzel have to be crooked before he took it*
I guess the first objection would be: why do these actors play these parts? The answer I would propose is that they play all parts; it is their art. I hate Othello, the character, I think Hemingway got him right. He is the ultimate ‘House Negro,’ but I’m not against the play being produced. Before Denzel played the cop in Training Day, he played a criminal far worse; one who was a hustler and a pimp, a thief and a con artist but he reformed and became a leader: Malcom- X. Before Terence played the pimp in Hustle and Flow he played an artist who had a breakdown because racist cops violated his wife. The academy overlooks the movies that draw clear attention to the problem and puts at the center movies that seemingly reinforce negative stereotypes, which are the symptoms.
*Lyrics courtesy of azlyrics.com

17 Comments:
I am concerned about the content of this posting. I happened upon your site searching for stories about being single, and being a rugby player. At first I was thrilled with the wonderful tails of heros such as your fly-half and promiscious women such as your club mates; recently however the stories seem to be taking a spin on the dark (see what I did there)side.
Although I realize these subjects are close to your heart, part of being a great author is recognizing your audience. As I'm the only one that logs onto this site (besides the lonesome bloggers hopeing you'll pay back the favor by clicking on their google ads) I think from now on every story should have references to: rugby, scoop and hammers, breasts, Tim Quinn, and how Sheryl Crow is too good for Lance Armstrong and should ditch him and start appearing in home made porno co-starring me. After all, that's what 100% of your readers want to hear about.
ps. Is there anyway you can block Central Ontario from reading parts of my rant. Thanks.
I demand to be aknowledged! It's been days since I posted my comment and gotten nothing. All I do with my life is watch holdem, check my email, and read your blog. Can't you at least do me the courtesy of reBUTTing me?
I hearby promise that at least one story a month will reference being single and being a rugby player but you do realize that 'black' is right there in the tile too and that authors are not supposed to appeal to the lowest common denominator (see what I did there) since that's the job of newspaper reporters.
I also want to hear more about breasts, Tim Quinn and rugby but I must admit I do like to hear about stories with the word "Ire" in it. Maybe your next story could be about how much you want to go to "Ire"land. Ten days to St Patrick Day.
There is something about people going over the edge. It's not enough to fondle a best friends girlfriend in the car after the bar (with "concerned reader" in the backseat) or to lurk around the bathroom in hopes of seeing her naked. Instead you must provoke her boyfriend to the point of dilusional thinking that he might, in some other world (Obviously not the one we're in because I mean hey.. have you seen Lance Armstrongs legs? You can't do better, it is physically impossible. They should be insured for their beauty as much as their talent... maybe he'll have a thing or two to say about mine?) have a chance with Sheryl. Side note: We're on a first name basis.
To conclude this was neither entertaining nor did it add anything to my typical afternoon of education as I would normally expect of this website. I didn't even laugh once. It has been downlisted and replaced as the number one site to read by MSN today (Oscar style trends.. much more comical).
PS- My breasts are off limits.. to both of you. Better luck next time.
To "concerned reader" and "breasts", for your own personal information and doubtful potential futur relationship. Rumor has it that Sheryl and Lance are no longer together. That's right, apparently killer legs, world champion titles and battling cancer weren't enough for her. And an other thing to "concerned reader" Sheryl Crow? really?
That was on MSN today like... last month. Where have you been, in a hole? Get with the times.
When did this become your personal chat pages? This is MY blog you big jerk faces. Do I go onto your blogs and leave pointless unentertaining messages that only three people find funny. I don't care if you're my only three readers piss off.
Yah seriously guys. Fat Ugly Fullback puts alot of work into this thing, I feel bad for him. The poor guy doesn't have alot going on in his life, stop reuning his pride and joy.
Nice try loser. You knew that creating a blog would have a down side. You get to write about us whenever you want, now you're gonna hear our comments. Stop trying to withhold our right to critique your crappy work. God you're such a loser, I hate you.
I love playing rugby then having a beer with Tim Quin ,and then watching a women fondel her breasts while riding on my penis . Maybe one day it will be sheryl Crow while Lance Armstorng is watching
Why all the hate? Although I do appreciate the mentions, why has my name come up so much in these posts, especially in connection with breasts? Not that I'm complaining...
who are all you people? because i have no clue- really. from now on leave some kind of hint or something 'cause this might be getting weird.
Single black rugby player,
Can you please teach me how to change my font to blue and how to underline...no reason, I just think it'd be nice to know.
thanx.
c.r.
i would love to help you out. it's a complicated procedure that takes a lot of time. please have your girlfriend meet me at the best western hotel at 7pm on friday night and i'll show her. I promise to have her back to you by monday.
Which Best Western? Just want to make sure to drop her off at the right hotel.
don't worry about she's already here.
Post a Comment
<< Home