Sunday, April 06, 2008

Tofu Wine Anybody?

So all you have to do to find an expert on somewhere is mention that you’re moving there. “Hey I’m moving to Australia!” “Why those racist bastards force feed you Vegemite as soon as you land” or “I’m visiting the Sudan” “oh watch out for the muggers they robbed George Clooney” or “I’m going to Spain” “Don’t go running with the bulls you’ll get trampled and die.” (knock on wood)

So when I was moving to Calgary everybody warned me how expensive it is. They are right, the rent I pay here to share a condo 20 minutes from the city core would go a lot farther in Montreal (I miss you Montreal, the bread at least). But people also commented on how expensive groceries are and just everything in general, but those professed experts have missed some interesting points.

I’m not going to talk about taxes or the free city core transit system, I’m going to talk about the interesting minority groups I belong to. Now right from the title of my Blog we know I’m black and a rugby player and it might seem fitting and contradictory but I’m also a quasi vegetarian and quasi alcoholic. Turns out that the tofu products I used to buy are exactly the same price here and I may have even found some cheaper stuff. More importantly though the wine I used to buy on special occasions back ‘H’ome are in the discount basket outside the liquor stores here. All kinds of Australian wines on the cheap it’s amazing.

So Calgary’s got no colour and the chicks here have standards but at the end of the night when I go home alone after striking out every single girl… and some of the prettier guys, I go home to Mr Wolfblass Shriaz and I’m in good company.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ovett said...

When it comes to experts the opposite is also true, if you say you just moved from somewhere you get the stupidest questions- You're from Montreal? Dey like to shoot da puck in da net (with french accent) yes... yes dey do, can we stop talking now?

9:41 AM  
Blogger global_funker said...

I like how even I appear a minority out here. "I see you have dark hair, brown eyes, where ya from"?

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger